Ask an expert

25 Nov 2004

Arachnophobia Classes
Please can you tell me where in South Africa I can get treatment for my severe Arachnophobia? I need to get cured from it as it is getting out of hand.

Answer 447 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Dalene,
No need for special classes --- almost any psychiatrist or psychologist ( maybe even more so psycholoist ) could help you with this, so you could learn to relax deply when ever you need to, and gradually unlearn the fear of spiders that has been troubling you. When I worked in London, we had a lovely psychologist who specialized in this, and after around 4 sessions, her patients were comfortably handling large hairy tarantulas from the zoo. Of course you won't need to do anything of the sort, but my point is --- they could become so greatly lacking in fear of spiders, that they were free to do anything they wanted.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9369 votes
67% - 19367 votes