Ask an expert

24 Jul 2008

Autumn 2008 issue of Pulse
Hi Michael,

On the autumn issue of Pulse you responded to a reader who had problems with dancing in a social setting. I have axactly the same problem and not only that, I can' t even dance infront of my own kids or husband, it' s even worse in a social set-up where I' m with strangers or people I don' t normally interact with or total strangers. I' m not sure if I suffer from social enxiety disorder or from agoraphobia but what I do know is whatever I' m suffering from is a very painful and paralising disorder. Where can I go for help?


Answer 387 views

01 Jan 0001

It sounds like social anxiety disorder, and not at all like agoraphobia. And I'd guess that you wouldn't enjoy having to stand up in front of a crowd and make a speech, either. The condition respods well to medication and CBT, so see a good local shrink for assessment and treatment, and you could soon be rid of this, and cheerfully warbling away in front of anyone who cares to listen !
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9425 votes
68% - 19881 votes