Ask an expert

07 Aug 2007

I have a son age 8 who is not leaving with his Dad. His dad took his birth certificate some year back, two weeks ago he told me that on my son's policy he used his surname intead of the surname on the birth certificate which is my surname.

I just want to find out that if something happens to the father will my son get what belongs to him?

Answer 354 views

01 Jan 0001

Sounds like a legal question, and a lawyer would best answer it. Check with your local University Law School as they often run a free law clinic, and the Law Society may still run a program offering a free initial consultation in such a situation. As fa as I know, inheritance should favour the child, whatever surname the man used in documents, so long as it can be proved that he is the boy's father --- and his using his surname in a policy for the boy should confirm that he acknowledged the boy as being his son
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9362 votes
67% - 19318 votes