Ask an expert

05 Feb 2013

Best friend married to a bully
My friend married very young. Came from a broken home and he offered security.
She is physically beautiful and also a kind lovely person very Christian.
He controls ALL the money and berates her when she buys herself something on the credit card. She works for him no salary.
He extends the bullying to her friends he has none. I am about to tell him off. He cuts u off and says this or that can be done. His two boys 20 and 23 don''t like him. My friend has worked and could leave him and she says if he dies and she has money to live that suits her, not that she wishes him dead. He told her to get rid of her one pet as it annoys him. I think she has. She complains about his bullying and I asked her out direct if he hits her - says no but he is an emotional bully. She just prays and prays and he just bullies. They have money and from the outside it all looks peachy. He knows very well she probably would leave if she had the means. She wants to study further he says no. I know she is deeply unhappy. What does one say to her?
Answer 302 views

01 Jan 0001

Purple's answer sounds just right.
SO he is an abusive bully ; that's very sad. and especially as she was and is vulnerable, she may have difficulty seeing that she is not to blame for his bad behaviour, and in planning a safe way out of a toxic relationship. But one can't do this for her. Prayinmg is totally useless in such a situation, and indeed counterproductive, if it encourages her to sit and accept abuse and hope for a miracle which will not come.
Many abusive and otherwise unhappy relationships look peachy from the outside, which is why one should be cautious about drawing conclusions from the outside.
Maybe she should, if its accessable, consult a group like POWA shich supposedly exists to help abused women ( though unfortunately I have heard some mixed reviews of their services ) ; and maybe consult a lawyer to clarify her rights and prospects.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
31% - 9563 votes
69% - 21618 votes