Ask an expert

13 Jul 2006

A good friend (boyfriend) was diagnosed with bipolar by his GP 2 years ago, his wife divorced him because of the bipolar. I have made an app, with a Dr, who specialises in bipolar etc. the app, is a long time away. How do I help and assist him in the meantime. I have read everything I can but have not found much help as to what I can do. As soon as the Dr. confirms that he has bipolar we will be attending support groups and everything else to help. He gets very moody everytime he fetched and drops off his children and stays that was for a week or more before he comes right but then its time to fetch then again.
Answer 320 views

01 Jan 0001

This is a common type of question, in esence, and there is no mystery about how to be helpful --- be ubnderstanding, supportive, ask if there is something you can do to help, and above all LISTEN to whatever he may want to discuss about his problems, if and when he wants to talk about it. Sounds like you have already been very helpful about arrnaging for him to see a relevant doc, and support groups, etc. Maybe he needs to take a bit more initiative about all this, himself ? Presumably counselling would help him come to terms better with the divorce and the issues surrounding the children
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.