Ask an expert

26 Feb 2009

Brain damaged
My Dauhters father had a hunting accident when she was 2 years old, she is now 13, he looked after us well in that time, had a good job etc. After the accident (he fell of the bakkie on his head) he doesn' t work and is always busy with schemes trying to make money, I am the provider and find it very difficult in these times, I pay the bond, schoolfees food etc, now I have decided I have had enough, I want him to get out of my house I want to find someone to help me raise my child and help inprovideing, do you think I am cruel I think I have done my share of feeling sorry and provide, all he does is drive around working on schemes that never materialises and swaer and scream at us the whole day, so I am sick and tired of my life.
Answer 445 views

01 Jan 0001

This i an unpleasant moral dilemma, Rina. Presumably he is not at all a bad man, meely someone who, due to his brain injury, is unrealistic in his ideas about what to do with himself, and not earning so as to be able to provide. HAs he been properly assessed by a psychologist / neurologist, or whoever, to see whether he should receive disability payments, for instance, and to assess whether his condition can be relieved at all, so enable him to earn a proper living ? If part of his unpleasant behaviour is due to genuine effects of th head injury, there might be ways to relieve this
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9428 votes
68% - 19906 votes