Ask an expert

07 Apr 2006

I strongly suspect that I have burnout. Would it be possible to seek help from an endocrinologist? And do I need my GP to refer me?
Answer 414 views

01 Jan 0001

Well, you only mention your suspected diagnosis, not why you suspect this. IF you have "burnout" as a form of reaction to severe and chronic, usually job-related stress, then a shrink could and would help --- a psychiatrist or psychologist --- but no endocrinologist gets training in how to deal with such conditions, and burnout is not basically an endocrinological problem. I agree with GH here, that a GP may be sufficient. It's wise to have a general physical checkup, and be referred for counselling. CBT counselling would probably be best, identifying what about your job and your reactiosn to t has been productive of these symptoms, and revising both your job and your ways of responding to stress, so as to find the relief you seek.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9463 votes
68% - 20183 votes