Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
19 Nov 2004
Can I help friend
Hi Cyber - A good friend of mine is having problems with 17 yr old daughter / drugs/ cutting. She spent a fortune to send the daughter to Kenilworth for a few weeks and counselling. Daughter has opted out of school as she would have to repeat year meaning she would be much younger than other youth. Daughter now seriously restricted. My friend keeps looking into her eyes to see if she is on drugs. I gave her name of parent support group. I never had this sort of problems with my children so not sure if I understand but can listen and suggest where to go for help (I'm quite resourceful) - In life I have my LBE (Learnt by experience) in most things but not this. Also don't understand about cutting - why do people do that....is it because she no longer takes drugs????? What can I do to help besides just support.
Vee, sounds like you are being a valuable and resourceful friend. I'm not going into yet another discussion of the dynamics of cutting --- check out the Archive of this forum as we've discussed it many times, even in recent months. Problems of this scale are too complex for a friend to help in the sense of providing a major intervention --- understandign and emotional support is excellent. beyond that she DOES need to help and advice of a skilled and experienced shrink, as nothing less will help.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Your guide to side-effects: What you can expect after a Covid-19 jab
- How rare is very rare? Your questions about blood clots – answered
- Anxiety around illness in childhood and adolescence can become chronic
- Lockdown dramatically increased stress levels and loss of sleep in mothers
- Obesity linked to increased in-hospital mortality in Covid-19 patients, especially men
- Covid-19: Move to a stricter lockdown level, experts warn as third wave looms
- Witnesses out to get me, Lucky Montana tells Zondo about his properties
- Ralph Mathekga | Magashule suspension: Cue the battle of the ANC branches
- Taxpayers will foot the bill while ANC MPs 'step aside'
- Damian dilemma: Why Willemse is key to Stormers breaking duck
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9469 votes
68% - 20243 votes