Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
09 Nov 2006
Doc, please help me. It feels like my throat is closed up, my scalp tight, my jaws clench, I cant breathe, and my whole body tenses up for no reason. When I bring my thoughts to say relax, with a lot of effort and concentration, I can. However, as soon as I forget, the whole thing starts over again and I battle to get air. How can I stop this? Nothing is stressing me at the moment. Please help, it is becoming unbearable! thanks.
Sounds like an Anxiety Disorder, which, fortunately, responds really well to treatment. CBT style counselling could help a lot, especially as you have already observed that with effort and concentration you are able to relax --- but can help you learn to relax easily and whenever you need to do so. Medication can also help, but CBT is better as it has lasting benefits, and most of the meds used can be expensive, and tranquillizers can lead to dependency.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Covid-19: Does exercising really reduce the risk?
- Is it the vaccine technology, used by AstraZeneca and J&J, causing blood clots? No evidence yet
- Life Esidimeni update: Five years later, key officials implicated yet to face disciplinary action
- Covid-19: New study to probe whether vaccinated people can still spread the virus
- Researchers looked at link between sunlight and Covid-19 deaths - what they found
- Cape Town fire: Did 'heritage' trees and 'ember attacks' outsmart SANParks' fire preparation?
- Gwede Mantashe, Thandi Modise not keen on parliamentary oversight committee on Presidency
- 'I was fulfilling a higher purpose' - Rabbi saves Torah from burning UCT building
- Did Tokyo Sexwale fall for a global conspiracy theory?
- Ralph Mathekga | Madikizela qualification scandal: Rather don't lie
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9436 votes
68% - 20001 votes