Ask an expert

02 Dec 2004

Child maintenance - advise pls!
I know this is probably not the right forum for my question, but I don't know where to ask.

I got divorced 4 yrs ago. At the time my ex was unemployed and I tried to help by informing the court that I would temporarily give up my right to child maintenance until he can find a job. The court granted my request on the condition that he find employment of some sort within 3 mnths and then start paying a monthly amount of R400. Immediately after the divorce he moved to Namibia. Later I found out that he was already employed in Nam at the time of the divorce. For 2 years he completely disappeared and we had no contact, and of course, no child maintenance was paid. He made contact with my son 2 weeks ago. Apparently he is still in Nam and still employed by the same company.

I understand that there is no legal way to force him to pay child maintenance as long as he is living in Namibia. I do not want to "ruin his financial stability", as he put it. I simply want his financial support in raising his son. I have been doing it all on my own for the past 4 years and really had to struggle to make ends meet. My son is going to Gr 8 next year and the financial burden of new school clothes, books, etc. is killing me.

Is there anything I can do? Any advise will be appreciated!
Answer 432 views

01 Jan 0001

Welcome, Lindi ! Specifics of Child Maintenance are not my personal area of expertise, but the forum is generally helpful here, as many of our readers have considerable expertise in that field !
OK< so he lied to you ( ? also to the court or on papers sent to the court ? ) about being unemployed when he was actually employed ? That could be perjury, and certainly should annoy any Court. I think Mona's right that simply by going to Namibia shouldn't allow the squirt to evade his responsibilities, and that the court could request a namibian Court to uphold the decision, and take note of the fact that he entered Namibia as a tactic to avoid paying his debts ( the namibian authorities might be interested in that too, if he hasn't got, or only recently got, permission to say permanently there ). And the company has a presence in SA, too, which should help.
DOn't geel guilty about pursuing this matter --- he owes it to you and to his child.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.