Ask an expert

13 Aug 2007

cognitive disorder
I have a friend with cognitive disorder, she is turning 17. It is impossible to notice her problem. She appear normal. She have problem reading and writing, and according to her parents (problem solving). Her parents say she will never be able to live a normal life, and she will stay with them for the rest of her life. She wants to marry and have a family of her own. Is that possible? Can her parents prevent her from marring when she turn 18?
Answer 433 views

01 Jan 0001

So much depends on the exact nature of the cognitive disorder. She needs a caefull assessment by a suitable local psychologist, to be clear why she is impaired, and to what extent, to assess what she is good at and what she finds difficult, and then she can be properly advised on what she can reasonably plan for her future. Similarly, wih some forms of such disorders, there could be a high risk that her children could be affected, in others he children would be likely to be normal --- and the important question would be the extent to which he could cope wih the stresses and responsibilities of parenting. I don't think her parents could prevent her marriage once she is of legal age, unless they ask a court to assess the situation and the court finds her unable to conduct her own affairs and appoints someone, perhaps the parents, to act as her guardian
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.