Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
10 Jan 2005
Hi Im 24 and just found out that my boyfriend of 3yrs is HIV+ and wants me to go and test myself as we want to have a baby,but Im scared that things wil change between us but I need to know so that I dont affect my baby.My boyfriend is so optimistic about everything and he's not stressed about his status he has accepted. I haven't accepted I still want him to go somewhere and do another test.At the moment he's on medication for TB and has to take the full treatment for 6 months.Should I wait until he finishes his treatment before thinking about the baby or should I found out about my status.At the moment things nothing has changed we adore each other more than before. Im so confused and love him unconditionally.
Yes, you certainly do need and deserve testing and counselling on this issue. Good advice from Liza and Inc. And, as they say, check on TB too, as he has it. he child could be at risk for both HIV and TB, so it would at least be worth waiting till his TB treatment is completed and he's passed as clear in that regard. That doesn't change the need for you to check your status asap.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Low risk of third Covid wave in SA, but country still ‘highly vulnerable’, Wits AI model suggests
- New research shows South Africa’s levy on sugar-sweetened drinks is having an impact
- Late-night snacks may negatively impact your work performance
- Scientists invent home Covid-19 test using coffee machine capsules
- Vaccinated breastfeeding mothers may pass on Covid-19 antibodies to their babies
- OPINION | How one tiny country streaked ahead of SA in its digital transformation
- Days of reckoning for Zuma and Hlophe: Will ConCourt and JSC imprison and push to impeach?
- With Edgars now in its stable, how does Legit-owner Retailability compare to its rivals?
- Eskom official went out of her way to help Econ Oil, and linked them up with Gigaba - probe report
- Adriaan Basson | The end of John Mandlakayise Hlophe, a judicial scoundrel and delinquent
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9425 votes
68% - 19886 votes