Ask an expert

01 Oct 2009

Cops vs Robbers article in FHM
My husband buys FHM.. I usually glance through it  anyway I saw the article Cops vs Robbers..I started readiing...Boy was I in for a suprise and there it was.. The Jeppestown shooting.. When will newspapers and magazines stop publishing the story..and everyone has their own version of what happened... As a family member it made me relive the whole day...It opens up wounds that we trie to heal....Everytime a family member sees an article the mourning proses startss from scratch again... Can the media leave the men alone who died in the Jeppestown tradgegy please...They will never be forgotten especially not by their family and friends who loved them...Let the children,wifes, mothers,fathers and brothers move is hard for a child to see their fathers face in the paper/magazine and then the article tells you how they died and where they were shot..the kids know..they went for therepay to help them deal with it...but each article puts them hundreds of steps back...As a family member please let them rest......
Answer 403 views

01 Jan 0001

Thank you for raising a very important and neglected point. I've never read FHM. ( But then, I've never read Harry Potter, either.) and haven't considered it the height of responsible and highly skilled journalism.
It's an under-recognized problem that traumatic events that were terrible for some people, amd which generally shock the public, soon become just another story for most of the media , without them realizing that there are still real people who get really hurt when they read again of what was a family tragedy. I think it's irresponsible for journalists and editors not to think of this posibility, especially when, as is usually the case, their story contributes nothing to society and has nothing new to add, nothing useful we can learn from the tragedy they review. I hope you will write, on much the same lines as your posting here, to FHM for publication in Letters to the Editor.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9362 votes
67% - 19312 votes