Ask an expert

23 Jun 2010

Counsel or society
I have been reading these posts re the therapists (mine included) and I am not very clear about what to do next. I have terminated the relationship. he was a bit confused abut it but i am glad becos i havent been seeing him for too long and i would rather end it before I get too involved with him. If one wants to report the incident whoshould I really go to. is it incorrect to go to the society or must i go to the health counsel? Which one is more strict?
Answer 430 views

01 Jan 0001

Its not really clear what your problem is. If you are concerned about any aspect of the behaviour or advice of your therapist, the first step would be to discuss it frankly with him /her. Maybe you are misunderstanding the situation, maybe it can be usefully resolved.
The fact that your's was a bit confused suggests he may have been unaware of whatever it was that troubled you.
If the problem is major and seriously troubling you, and discussion with the therapist could not resolve it, then you could let it rest after changing to a different therapst - or you could usefully discuss it with your new therapist, and get their view of it.
If still dissatisfied, you could complain about them. For a serious miscobduct, this would eb to the Health professions Council, for a more minor issue, perhaps the SA Sociaty of Pasychiarists (SASOP ) or its equivelent for psychologists.
Its not a question of who is more strict. The Society has less power, the HPD can strike someone off the register if they consider the offense great enough, which would stop the person practising, and can impose other penalties
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.