Ask an expert

07 Aug 2007

I have been trying to find another doctor to get another opinion on all the meds I am on, unfortunately most of them are booked up for the next three weeks. I am not sure that I can wait that long. I am on the verge of going completely insane. The suicide thoughts are getting worse, my energy levels are at an all time low. I feel completely isolated, as I feel that I have no one to discuss this with, I feel that to my husband it is becoming a burden, I try not to tell him of my thoughts, as I know that it upsets him. The onset of this episode was my little boy (10) leaving to go and stay with his father, as he was terribly unhappy living in JHB and missed his father terribly, he is so happy back with his dad, and I am happy he is happy, but I feel as though he is now gone forever, its almost like having someone die. My child was my whole life, and now I feel as though I have nothing.

At first the depression was managable, but now it has become almost life threatning, all that I want to do is go to sleeo and never wake up again. Nothing means anything in my life. I do bel;ieve that I am at the end.
Answer 386 views

01 Jan 0001

Its a pity so many shrinks seem to be booked up so far ahead, these days. I always used, when in busy practice, to try to keep a couple of slots empty each week for urgent appointments. Discussing how awful you feel with your husband might upset him, but finding that you have been feeling so desperate without telling him, will probably upset him, too. Don't wory about being a burden --- when proper treatment is completed, you'll be back to being able to help others, and not needing help yourself. Is there a local cousnellor you can see in the meantime ? Maybe Anxiety/Depression Support Group can recommend someone near you, preferably of the CBT form ? And if nothing else is available, go to a casualty dept and ask to see a psychiatrist as an emrgency consultation, as this is an entirely respectable emergency
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9370 votes
67% - 19368 votes