Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
05 Apr 2006
dad drinking too much
What can I do, my dad is really drinking way too much and drives in that condition as well. It is really affecting me in a bad way. It was never like this only the last 2 years. What can I do from my side to help him and myself?
If he can listen, tell him that his drinking is upsetting you and when he drivs in that condition, you 're fearful for his life and that of other people. ut an alcoholic / problem drinker cannot be helped unless and untill HE admits that he has a serious problem and needs help for it. You can't "not-drink" for him. I quite like Nicolai's idea of writing a letter to him, so he can have all your thoughts in one place, and can ead it through without interrupting you. And yes, too, Al-Anon ( reached directly or through the AA number ) could help you personally.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Covid-19: Does exercising really reduce the risk?
- Is it the vaccine technology, used by AstraZeneca and J&J, causing blood clots? No evidence yet
- Efforts to reduce coronavirus spread should focus on airborne transmission, not surfaces
- Psychologists find a key reason for 'Zoom fatigue' and why women are more susceptible
- Why do children fare better than adults when infected with SARS-CoV-2? What latest research says
- Cape Town fire: UCT working on urgent safety plan to prevent future fire hazards
- Cape Town fire: Did 'heritage' trees and 'ember attacks' outsmart SANParks' fire preparation?
- Gwede Mantashe, Thandi Modise not keen on parliamentary oversight committee on Presidency
- 'I was fulfilling a higher purpose' - Rabbi saves Torah from burning UCT building
- Did Tokyo Sexwale fall for a global conspiracy theory?
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9436 votes
68% - 20004 votes