Ask an expert

25 Feb 2009

Death of a loved one and the aftermath

i need advise on how to assist a friend (i know how this sounds but for a change it' s true!).

I think she needs to speak to a proffessional about things that have happened in her life. she has been through more than most and have fought for everything in her life and is better educated than any member of her whole extended family. That is also where the problem starts. Her father passed away last year juat after her mother moved away (with another man). She is standing all alone in the world with no one (in her eyes) there for her. she also just came out of a very serious relationship where the man, again, abandoned her.

SHe' s trying to hold everything together, she wants the people around her to repect her and therefore does not share her pain and fear with people. she can' t afford therapy and won' t accept that anyone else pay for it.

is there anyone that she can speak to (where she doesn' t have to pay)?

Thank you
Answer 394 views

01 Jan 0001

Each of the events she has experienced ould be challenging, but all three within a short space of time, would of course be especially so. She sounds like exactly the sort of person who would benefit from counselling. Obviously, free counselling isn't easy to find. You could call Lifeline, and FAMSA, who could advise on low cost options. Some churches offer some sort of counselling, but often untrained and unskilled counsellors.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.