Ask an expert

22 Jan 2004

I am 21 and dont know what to do. I suffer from some form of depression. For the past 4 weeks i never feel good, always feel like crying even at the silliest things, and I also keep on eating cause i just feel better when i eat. I have been on anti-depre. about a year ago and it helped. My doctor took me of them after 6months because i felt better but now i feel worse than ever. Is there some medication i can take without consulting a doctor again? I am not on a medical aid anymore. thank you for the help.
Answer 404 views

01 Jan 0001

h, I expect that though you may feel a little better when eating, you then feel bad about having eaten too much, so it's no lasting solution, is it ? It sounds very much as if your Depression has returned ( it often does this ) and you probably do need to restart antidepressants. If you're not on medical aid, there are two main alternatives. One is that your GP can prescribe one of the newer drugs but in the generic form which are chemically equivalent but considerably cheaper than the full branded versions ; the other is that you can go to a state health clinic / provincial hospital clinic / University Medical School Dept of Psychiatry, and get an assessment and prescription at a lower price which ought to be means tested, in other words, the cost depending on your earnings. Press ahead with either of these options --- you deserve it.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9436 votes
68% - 20006 votes