Ask an expert

19 Jan 2004

Hi doc...
I have been on Lorien for about 8 months now and I have still been having depression episodes... to an extent where I want to end my life... do I continue with the Lorien, or do I need something else?
Answer 438 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Inc,
Sorry, but I must disagree with Munchie here. The site recommended by Munchie is aquack-oriented site showing far too many signs of promoting eccentric and extremist views having nothing to do with proper science and evidence. The "doctor" the site glorifies is not medically qualified, and seems to have devoted her career to finding bad things to say about antidepressant drugs. Some of her board seem oddly qualified, too, none seem to have appropriate qualifications to be considered an authority on this topic --- I'd as soon accept the opinion of an orthopaedic surgeon on psych drugs, as I'd allow a psychoanalyst to operate on my knee. The site is alarmist, exaggerates risks and seems to make no reference at all to possible benefits, ignoring sound scientific evidence on such matters, It provides handy links to American lawyers eager to sue drug companies for damages, which is hardly a sign of a group which is objective on the topic.
Inc, if you have not expereicned significant benefit within even 2 months, you should see again your doctor, ( and if the prescription was from a GP, I'd recommend seeing a specialist psychiatrist, for a full, proper assessment to clarify the correct diagnosis, and to review possible treatment. With any antidepressant mdicine, only around 70 % of people respond well to the first one that is tried, yet those who don't, are likely to respond properly to a second such medicine. It does sound as if you need and deserve something else. Also, check out with the doctor / psychiatrist the availability in your area of a specific form of psychotherapy, Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy (CBT ) which is the only other remedy which has good research indicating that it is effective in treating Depression.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.