Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
22 Jul 2008
is there a way to cure depression without medication. most days it feel like the world in crashing in. all my dreams and hope have blown up into smoke. like you are in quick sand and sinking. currently im jobless, in debt recentaly boyfriend broke up with me. nothing my friends say or do can make me happy. i burst out weeping sometimes i dont know why. the panic attacks are starting again and thats because ive been so stress out. i dont like going to doctors or taking medication. all i want is my happy life back again.
To some extent. Medication can be very useful in dealing with the chemical aspects of Depression, which are real and serious. But one specific variety of psychotherapy / counselling, called CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) has been shown by good research to be at least as effective as the medications, with lasting benefits, and obviously it deals more specifically with aspectslike one's assumptions, habits, and exp[ectations. Nobody can wave a wand and give you back the happy life you had ; but with the aid of a CBT therapist, you yourself can create a happier and sturdier way of life, in which you for instance, might find better love and relationships, but without giving anyone else the power you gave away to this bf, enabling him to devastate you by leaving.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Scientists find link between lower daily temperatures and higher rate of transmission of Covid-19
- Another coronavirus variant detected in SA, but no reason to panic, says KRISP director
- Do children and teens need to be vaccinated to get the Covid-19 pandemic under control?
- Phone call anxiety: Why so many of us have it, and how to get over it
- Scientists find over 100 harmful substances in plastic children’s toys
- Prof Shabir Madhi 'mortified' at decision on AstraZeneca vaccine, says it might expire
- Splitting up the pot: Steinhoff offers 5.5% payout to market purchase claimants to settle
- Glencore 'used relationship' with Ramaphosa to 'extort' Eskom, former CEO Brian Molefe claims
- Meet SA's youngest doctor, Thakgalo Thibela, 21
- Karyn Maughan | 'Our hands are tied' - JSC after calls for Hlophe's suspension over Bongo acquittal
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9369 votes
67% - 19367 votes