Ask an expert

03 Apr 2007

I have had disorders probaly since 1989 and was assessed in around the early 90's for some of them. So, far I see a pshyciatrist approx. every 3 months for med checks etc. Well, last year he had me see another doc for possible ADHD and was diagonsed with it at a low level. I also have depression, anxiety disorder, panic disorder, and now possibly (a mood disorder with bipolar traits-he said). He (the pshyc doc), has said I'm a complicated case. My short term memory is gradually becoming a big problem and effecting my work and I need help from coworkers because I forget things a lot. It makes me very scared at times- my mind goes blank and its almost like an alzheimers episode. Its very distressing, scary, embarrassing, and I cry. People around me have said that I freak out over things, am to sensitive, and thats why I litereally dont have any friends. Lately my moods can change within 5 minutes time, I've been told. I'm worried if I'm getting the right meds and if I will ever be normal!? At the present time I'm taking: Lamictol, Larazepam, Alprazalam, Sertraline, and (Estratest for hormones). At times I feel like a guiny pig! What can help me?? Is there anything better to help all of this, and my short term memory loss? I hope this is enough info. for you. Thank you for your time.
Answer 432 views

01 Jan 0001

It certainly sounds complex --- its most uncommon for somone to have apparently so many disorders. What I find more usual is that someone has one basic disorder, say, Depression, with elements of others, as in reality they do overlap somewhat. I would worry that the medications themselves could be contributing to the memory problems, concentration problems, etc. I can't understand why anyone might need to be on Lorazepam AND Alprazelam. Both certainly can contribute to short-term memory problems. Maybe it'd be a good idea to see a completely different psychiatrist for a fresh assessmetn and second opinion
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.