Ask an expert

05 Jul 2011

divorce distroying me
Hi doc I recently got divorced. I still loved my ex but could not do anything if he had found somebody else. I am not coping at all counselling and psychiatric help is not helping neither is medication. My mind is constantly fixed on me thinking about my dovorce. I have fear that nothing will ever go right in my life again since I''ve had thousands of downfalls and the divorce being the cherry on top. My blood pressure is constantly high. I''ve developed ulcers as results of stress. I have lost concentration and panic all the time. Please say something to make me believe in life again.
Answer 412 views

01 Jan 0001

So the divorce was not your fault, and this would of course have been deeply upsetting to you. Medication is highly unlikely yo help, unless a real p[roperly diagnosed depression has arisen on top of your existing and understandable distress. Counselling should be able to help, but would need your fullest co-operation. Sometimes to a significant extent one may not WANT to "get over" such a separation, not want to accept that it has happened and won't be reversible, and one clings on to the hurt and sadness, as though that is all one has left, as though holding on to the hurt will in some way keep the door open to retrieving that happiness you once had. Letting a counsellor help you to let go of this, will , rather, free you to find new and truer relationship with someone far more worthy of your love.
It sounds as though specifically CBT ) Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) is the style of counselling you need, to change the habits of negative thinking you seem to have accumulated over the years, and the re-enacted expectation of faiulure and grief. You can get through this and find far happier times ahead, but it requires even more bravery and boldness on your part, to let go of the bonds of bitterness arising from how madly you were treated before, and opening yourself up to better times
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9377 votes
67% - 19420 votes