Ask an expert

21 Nov 2005

Do I give up?
My husband has been having an affair on and off for the last 6 years. She just never seems to go away. It has got to the stage where she speaks to me as if I was the mistress, thats how confident and brazen she has become. I want to teach her a lesson and would like to sue her, even if it doesn't sort out my problems, she may think twice when she gets involved with a married man again. I know my action will prob chace him away, but I think thats going to happen anyway, so what have I got to lose. Please any advise. I know its him I should be angry with him and I am.
Answer 408 views

01 Jan 0001

Well, do consult a good lawyer and check out this posibility. I haven't frankly heard of such a case in SA law, but I do know that in some other countries legal systems one can sue for "alienation of affections " or something similar. Pleased to hear Jemma's example of someone who succeeded in this sort of action, which the law really ought to provide for.
As ... says, she is unlikely to be so brazen except that she feels completely confident --- which is HIS fault. And do consider a divorce, especially if a lawyer can ensure that it is costly for your husband, to free yourself and look for the happiness in life you so obviously deserve.
Jakes case may provide a fascinating example, of one of the disadvantages to the recognition of gay relationships which has otherwise seemed like a good idea to many.
Good luck, and keep us informed as to how things go !
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9433 votes
68% - 19966 votes