Ask an expert

10 Jan 2008

Do I need therapy?
I've gone through many traumatic experiences in my life and have never been for counselling, I feel that I am pretty strong and so self motivated and try to keep my chin up and stay positive and I think that's what makes me get over these issues. Just to give you an idea - i've been sexually abused from the age of 5 until my teenage years by different male family members including a grandfather, my parents got divorced when i was 6, my childhood was not a happy one as I was the eldest and my mother expected me to be in control while she was at work. I am busy divorcing my husband who is verbally abusive and after 11yrs I refuse to have him make me feel like nothing when I know that I am special. Lots of my friends have told me that I should go for counselling after how he treated me and how he threatens me.
I feel that I am strong and don't feel like my personality has altered to such an extent that I require therapy.
It's very difficult to talk about the hurt inside and re-live the memories by talking about them in detail. I think I am more scared of that? Am I wrong?
Answer 405 views

01 Jan 0001

TC, you've had a difficult and challenging life --- and from the sound of it, you've met the challenges remarkably well. Nopw, as for counselling, it is not a refugee center for the weak --- it can be a situation wherein the strong learn to improve and enhance their techniques of coping and their capabilities. IF you did seek counselling, though I'd think of two provisos --- (a) it should be with some specific target(s) --- some particular issues or problems you want to be able to deal with better than heretofor, and (b) it ABSOLUTELY MUST NOT be with any airy-fairy analytical type amateur, and ONLY with a pratitioner of realistic and effective Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy. It is NEVER EVER necessary to re-live memories by talking about them in detail --- any therapist who insists on that is an insufficioently trained quack and should be avoided.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9436 votes
68% - 20001 votes