Ask an expert

04 Jul 2005

Dont know what I have
Dear Doc. Dont know what I have, so please advise. Sometimes I feel I have social phobia as in a crowd I feel uncomforable, only talk when asked a question and cant wait to get out of there. Other times, I am really confident, have all these witty things to say, and am sort of the life of the party! What is this? Do I need medication? If I see a pysch, will it be long term treatment? Can I perhaps cure this myself? Ever since I remember, I have been like this. Thanks.
Answer 349 views

01 Jan 0001

It's impossible, jinx, at this disance, to know for sure what your problem is or what treatment, if any, it may need. Whatever, it shouldn't need long-term treatment. Could be social anxiety disorder, which isn't constant, and may vary according to whether you're with friends or with more strangers ; and maybe its after a little alcohol that you feel more confident ? That's risky, as it can encourage you to drink too much --- so see a good local shrink for a full assessment and discuss treatment choices. SOme medication for a limited period could help, and/or CBT-stryle counselling
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9360 votes
67% - 19292 votes