Ask an expert

10 Aug 2010

Don''t know what to do
I just found out that I have a bipolar disorder and i spent time in hospital for almost three weeks. I''m still waiting for my medical aid to approve my medication because I can not afford to buy it myself every month. Whilst I''m waiting I made an appointment to see my psychologist and I couldn''t because I was told that I don''t have enough funds anymore and if I do I will have to pay cash that I don''t have. So I decided that for this year I will only see the psichiatrist because I don''t have cash for both of them.

The reason why I wanted to see the psychologist is because I am always down and have suicidal thought more often than before now. I have these weird cravings for dagga and wine a lot lately and I''ve never smoked dagga before and never drank alcohol in my entire life. What can be the course for this?

Answer 467 views

01 Jan 0001

I suspect that one reason why Bipolar gets diagnosed much more commonly than before, is the stupidity of Medical aids. They tend to accept Bipolar Disorder as a chronic disorder for which they will provide better coverage as regards treatment and drugs, where as absurdly, ordinary depression is treated less favourably.
Whatever the reason for the cravings you describe, do NOT indulge in dagga or alcohol, as both will worsen your mental state, whatever the diagnosis, and alcohol can stop antidepressant treatment from being effective.
Discuss your suicidal concerns with the psychiatrist, who needs to know this and to take it into account. Explore other resources like the Depression/Anxiety Support Group, too.
Ignore comments from anyone other than a qualified shrink as to what your diagnosis is, or might be - nobody else is qualified to make such a diagnosis. And do NOT stop any psych medication suddenly, without discussing it with the doc, and without working out with him a plan to gradually withdraw it, rather than stopping suddenly
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.