Ask an expert

18 Apr 2006

Dooes medical aid cover visits to counsellors or psychologists?

I have really been considering going to see a counsellor or psychologist for some time now about some issues that I feel would be beneficial for me to work through ... I am on Discovery Medical Aid - the second highest category in it - do you know if such visits would come out of the medical aid allowance as a doctor's visit would? All/partial?

Also, could you possibly personally recommend someone in the DBN North/Umhlanga/La Lucia area for me? (As far as Musgrave is manageable for me)

Many Thanks
Answer 29,159 views

01 Jan 0001

Any good medical aid ought to provide for you to see a psychiatrist or psychologist. Some may require that you be referred to the shrink by your GP --- check with the particular medical aid as to how they work. I can't recommend specific shrinks for many good reasons, including the impossibility of keeping track of so many changing practises. Your Gp should be able to recommend someone nearby and competent --- and the Medical Aid may be able to do so, too.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
31% - 9514 votes
69% - 20788 votes