Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
20 Jul 2008
My friend is taking Reglan that she needs for digestive purposes. A side effect of Reglan is depression, I believe because it also decreases dopamine in the brain. She will not use antidepressants. What foods or diet would be best to help increase her dopamine levels? I understand protein is necessary. Is there any risk to adding protein shakes to her diet? Is that enough?
OK, let's see. Reglan is a trade name for the chemical Metaclopromide. It can indeed cause Depression, and is no advisable to prescribe for someone with a personal or family history of depression. She doesn't NEED Reglan, though she may have confidence in it, as there are numerous alternative meds whihc can help indigestion and which don't have that side-effect. She doesn't need antidepressants unless she i significantly Depressed --- and if she is, she would be foolish to reject meds which could then help her. There are no foods or supplements which would reliably and usefully boost dopamine levels where they would count. Can't she be persuaded to seek a second opinion about alternates to deal with her indigestion ( Reglan has no effect on digestion as such ) ?
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Another coronavirus variant detected in SA, but no reason to panic, says KRISP director
- Scientists find over 100 harmful substances in plastic children’s toys
- Some employees hate team bonding activities, so they should be made entirely voluntary, say researchers
- Do children and teens need to be vaccinated to get the Covid-19 pandemic under control?
- Having trouble sleeping? Here’s the science on 3 traditional bedtime remedies
- Covid-19: Why Solidarity's vaccine procurement plan may not be feasible
- Brian Molefe adamant that Ramaphosa's 'influence' was used to seal dodgy coal deal
- Electoral Bill seeks to protect voters' personal info 'from unreasonable disclosures'
- 'If I get time, I will': Zandile Gumede open to visiting Zuma
- 'Mama, I'm going to play' - final words young boy spoke to his mom before drowning
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9370 votes
67% - 19371 votes