Ask an expert

18 Dec 2004

My son who is now 22 admitted to the use of marijuana and ecstacy at age 17. He now suffers from a mild form of depression and has weird sensations in his head sometimes. He describes it as a cross between hyper tension and dizziness. He has not used any form of illegal substance for the past 3 years.

He has now asked for help with this but can only see a psychiatrist towards the end of Jan 05. The marijuana use was frequent apparently but he took a single ecstasy pill on three separate occasions.

What is your take on this, CS and is there anything that can be done while we wait for the psychiatrist?
Many thanks.
Answer 465 views

01 Jan 0001

Hello Dennis,
Yes, it's a pity that there can be a waiting list of sorts before one can get to see a psychiatrist, and especially at this holiday time of year. Keep up good communication with your son in the meantime, and reassure him. The mild symptoms you describe should not be too alarming or distressing, and he ought to be OK until his appointment to see the doc. If he is not now using such illicit chemicals, and has not done so for 3 years, they could not be active in his system, and should not currently be causing problems. What he is experiencing could be a combination of mild anxiety state with mild depression ( the two quite often occur together ). In the meantime, encourage him to be moderately cheerful and occupied with useful activities, and not to wory too much about his condition until he can see the shrink, for a comprehensive assessment, and then a discussion based on whatever diagnosis the srhink makes.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.