Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
13 Apr 2006
drugs! need your help
I'm a girl of 16 and I started taking drugs like three months ago now, some friends offered them to me. At first i though this was nothing to worry about, but now it's becomin a problem, i can't control it.
As time goes by i need more and more and it's gettin really expensive. My mother wants to know how my money dissapears so fast.. I have to hide drugs at home.. i sometimes take them to school. I'm deeply caught and i know i'm taking too much but i can't stop it.
I'm NOT talking to my parents about this. I don't drink, i don't smoke and i get really high marks at school. This would destroy them and they would never forgive me.
I need your help.
connie, one of my problems is that you don't mention WHAT "drugs" you have been taking. None of them are any good for you, but some are worse than others, and some could be more difficult to stop than others. You've shown excellent sense in recognizing that this is a problem you have, with the potential to become a much bigger problem. Many of the available drugs you could simply stop, in the physical sense ; but you also deserve counselling and support as well as expert advice. If you asked to see your family GP, he would be bound by confidentiality, and could get you involved with a suitable counsellor. Check out the availability of a student counsellor through your school, perhaps through your church. And think carefully about your view that you can't talk to your parents. They're really unlikely to be as unhelpful and unforgiving as you seem to expect, and could do so much to help you through this problem, and support you in your wise decision to sop the drugs.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Ditch the itch – using bacteria to combat eczema flareups
- Covid then vs Covid now: The emergence of variants and how the virus has evolved
- An obsession with ‘likes’ on social media akin to animals seeking food rewards, new study reports
- Covid-19 damages the heart by killing its muscle cells, study finds
- Baby infected with coronavirus in the womb - new study
- What we know about the charges against former Steinhoff CEO Markus Jooste
- The big picture | ‘The loss of humanity’: South Africa and the Global South’s battle for Covid-19 vaccine justice
- Karyn Maughan | How the WC Judge President has faced 10 major scandals, without any sanction
- 'You can never take a break': Workers speak on SA's grim Covid-19 anniversary
- Mark Gevisser | Covid-19: One year on, and a deepening inequality
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9375 votes
67% - 19416 votes