Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
18 Apr 2006
Equinorm vs. SRIs
My doctor has just diagnosed me with OCD. At first he thought it was Schizophrenia and when I didn't take well to that medication I was put on ametripeline. Now he has put me on Equinorm for about the last three weeks, which doesn't seem to be working yet. I'm wondering why he would put me on this instead of SRI medication?
Amitriptyline is an old, tricyclic antidepressant ( old in the sense of having been around for many years now, and available in cheaper generic forms ). Equinorm is another old antidepressant, the chemical name of which is Clomipramine. Maybe your doctor did his psychiatry trainign some time ago, when these were around the best alternatives available for treating OCD. Nowadays, I would have thought that SSRI's would be a more obvious choice, especially now that there are cheaper generic forms available of many of them. COuld you perhaps tactfully ask for a referal to a good local psychiatrist for a second opinion, as to the diagnosis and treatment that might be best to try at this stage ?
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Energy drink habit puts man in hospital with heart failure
- Frequently interrupted sleep increases the risk of death, especially in women
- Is your stuffy nose 'stuffing up' your brain?
- Scientists warn against videos alleged to be showing adverse Covid-19 vaccine side effects
- More research provides reassurance on Covid-19 vaccine safety – even for those with severe allergies
- Singh grilling at Zondo commission turns to tug of war on subpoenas
- ANALYSIS | The ANC's tactics to control Parliament laid bare at Zondo commission
- What were the trends in Wednesday's by-elections? We ask 3 analysts
- Ahmed Areff | What a conspiracy involving a 120-year-old lightbulb has to do with your iPhone
- Carbon emissions to surge to second-largest increase in history as economies ramp up
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9441 votes
68% - 20045 votes