Ask an expert

09 Feb 2004

ex left for married man???
My question is actually what kind of therapy will be best suited for me.

The senario:
I have been dating a girl for about 3 years. Actually already a difficult time. We where on/off the whole time. So eventually this weekend she told me that she is planning to see somebody else. Ok , so that is fine except:
This is an old boyfriend of hers (about 6 years back) , and she didn't have anything good to say about him. And the other problem , he is actually married and have a child.

So my problem is dealing with the rejection for this man.
I live in the pretoria area and would like to know of a therapist in this certain field?
Answer 362 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear devestated,
ANY experienced local therapist, a psychiatrist or maybe better a clinical psychologist ( so they won't be tempted to just prescribe drugs which usually don't help this sort of situation ) could help. If they use or are familiar with Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy CBT, so much the better, as it would focus on the negative conclusions you have been drawing from this experience, and how to revise those towards more wholesome and helpful ones.
And your problem is that you feel rejected, related to her abandoning her relationship with you, even if it was hardly your fault --- not WHO she abandoned you for. She sounds as if she has really bad taste, and is unlikely to be happy with this guy in the end.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9378 votes
67% - 19420 votes