Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
01 Oct 2009
Hi. I have had this problem for many years. I cant seem to be able to express myself. When I am talking, I cant think of the word/s I want to use. I eventually have to try and get across my thoughts using more basic words. I am not articulate at all. It is affecting my life, job and relationships. How can I improve this?
Sometimes this happens because we just haven't had the opportunirty to learn how to express ourselves well. Or i may be that we have a variety of social anxiety disorder, so we feel too anxious, in company, to express thoughts we could otherwise utter. And some of us have a problem called Alexithymia, which means that we have a specific difficulty in expressing EMOTIONAL felings and ideas, in words --- as though we lack the vocabulary for doing so. So a proper assessment by a shrink is important, to clarify what sort of problem we are dealing with , and , thus, the best way to deal with it. Speech therapy can help one to learn to speak more fluently and confidently ; CBT can help improve self-confidence, and eradicate social anxiety ; and so on.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- WATCH | Covid-19 vaccines: Pfizer fast facts
- Psychologists find a key reason for 'Zoom fatigue' and why women are more susceptible
- Covid-19 infection indoors: This app can tell you how long it will take to catch the virus
- Is your stuffy nose 'stuffing up' your brain?
- OPINION | Ivermectin: Why a potential Covid-19 treatment isn’t recommended for use
- Zama Ndlovu | How men with money are ruining politics for the rest of us
- Sifiso Ntombela | SA needs 'inclusive agricultural growth', but what does that mean?
- EXPLAINER | What we know about the day the Coka brothers were killed on an Mpumalanga farm
- INTERVIEW | PSG’s Mouton on executive pay: 'The greatest CEOs, you cannot pay enough'
- Green light for Hlophe participation in Western Cape High Court interviews after Winde agrees to attend
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9438 votes
68% - 20022 votes