Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
17 Jul 2008
Fear - soloution
Hi Doc . I have a sibling who at a young age watched a documentary concerning demons and exorcism . He then become very anxious and fearful that he would be possessed. This fear although unfounded continues to haunt him . He cannot watch anything or hear anything which relates to exorcisms or demons and is on medication for his anxiousness . He is what a term a “ Worrier” . What can be done to help him overcome this fear . I doubt he would consult a practitioner .
Some of us tend to worry more than others, and perhaps to obsess about a particular worry more than is anywhere near reasonable. This sounds as though it may even have grown into the proportions of a phobia. It can respond very well to therapy such as CBT, mabe with the help of some medication ( but not from a GP ) --- he needsm to see a proper specialist psychiarist for a full assessment and treatment decisions. Try to persuade him to get this relief, which he deserves. Without treatment, these sorts of fears tend to grow worse, and broader.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Researchers looked at link between sunlight and Covid-19 deaths - what they found
- J&J Covid-19 vaccine: Are blood clots and the pausing of SA’s rollout a cause for major concern?
- Experts don't expect J&J vaccine rollout to be paused for long - but suspension the right move
- Have introverts really fared better in lockdown?
- 6 unhealthy eating behaviours on the rise during the Covid-19 pandemic
- INTERVIEW | I was misunderstood about alcohol bans, says Sue Goldstein amid interview furore
- Jail me, Zuma dares ConCourt as chief justice plays politics in JSC interviews
- ANC dismissed first Gupta allegations because its 'analysis' found newspapers were racist - Mantashe
- Is Judge John Hlophe above the law? Join us at the Editors' Table to discuss his fate
- Not having access to mental health treatment a violation of human rights - expert
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9432 votes
68% - 19950 votes