Ask an expert

21 Jan 2004

Feeling despondent
I have had rather a rough past two years. I divorced my alcohol dependant husband, lost my father (I was very close to him) moved 3 times and changed jobs in that time. I have a 3 yr old daughter and am very scared that I am taking my negativity out on her. I am very irritable and feel like I could burst into tears at the slightest thing (and sometimes I do). I went to see a clinical physcologist just before the divorce went through and felt a lot better for a while, but seem to have slid back into the bad habits very quickly. Any suggestions for me?
Answer 369 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Julie,
Given the combinaton of stressors and griefs you describe, it'd be more surprising if you were Not feeling irritable and sad. Especially as you found it so useful before, seeing a psychologist to work on the additional baggage you're now carrying could indeed help a lot. You may well NOT need additional medication, but the psychologist could assess this better after seeing you, and might, if it seems neded, also suggest you see your doctor for a prescription. Probably, this can be sorted out by talking it through skillfully.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.