Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
10 Aug 2008
Friend struggling to accept loss of BF
A friend of mine lost her bf in an accident last year. Her father was also killed very traumatically. She is struggling to cope and is abusing drugs. It doesn' t seem like therapy is working. What can I do to help her?
I wonder what sort of therapy she has been receiving. Two points -- one is that grief is hard work, especially when there were aditional risk factors such as a very close attachment, an unexpected death, or traumatic circumstances. And it usual;ly takes some 9 months to a year to work through. The other is that all therapies are not equal. Some such as psychoanalysis and analytically oriented thera;ies are worse tha useless, and take forever to achieve little or nothing, while others such as CBT work better, more rapidly, and with more ladting benefits.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Low risk of third Covid wave in SA, but country still ‘highly vulnerable’, Wits AI model suggests
- Some form of long-term symptom lingers in one in 10 who had mild Covid-19, new study finds
- SEE: Woman’s nose collapses due to rare autoimmune disorder
- Covid-19: Men create more antibodies after asymptomatic infections and keep them for longer – new research
- 10 ways to make yourself poop first thing in the morning
- Storm in a teacup? Rooibos farmers fear the worst as they await price fate
- ANC deputy chief whip called a “fool” by EFF MPL
- There’s 'nothing special' about it: JSC feels 'no pressure' to finalise John Hlophe matter
- Will the ANCYL's new task team be able to fix the youth wing?
- 'My heart broke in half' - Miguel Louw's mother, sister speak of their emotional turmoil
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9428 votes
68% - 19902 votes