Ask an expert

23 Sep 2009

Gang Raped
I was gang raped in 1998, and i have just realized that i' ve made the biggest mistake by telling my husband about it. I was suffering from depression after the rape incident, so every time i tried to explain that i was feeling depressed, he did not understand, until i explained him that i had post natal depression after my childs birth and it got worse after the rape incident, he is criticizing and underminding me.

What can i do to change the sitution, cause i realized that i have made a big mistake telling him that i was gang raped and depressed.
Answer 379 views

01 Jan 0001

It's sad simply when a spouse fails to understand what their partner means when he or she says they are Depressed. Post-Natal Depression is significant, and quite common ; and after a gang-rape you are entitled to depression and or many other varieties of distress. I believe that whenever a doctor or psychologist diagnoses Depression, they ought to ask to meet or speak to the spouse of the patient and explain what this means.
It should never be a mistake to tell one's spouse that one is depressed, let alone that one has been raped or otherwise assaulted, and sympathy and an earnest attempt to understand, is the least one can expect from them. It's hard to believe that you went through the awful experience of gang-rape without telling him, indeed, without him being aware that something awful had happened to you. At the time you needed medical care, blood testing, and urgent and defini8tive counselling. You don't mention whether you have received or do now receive, any proper expert treatment for the depression or the aftermath of the rape. It is essential, and you deserve it.
I suggest that now you arrange to see a good local shrink for a proper assessment, and treatment of your depression ( and possibly for other post-traumatic problems ), potentially by medication and CBT-style counselling. Once that is taken care of, one topic to discuss with your therapist / counsellor would be how to handle your husband's remarkably unsympathetic responses to your problems.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.