Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
01 Aug 2007
have a bit of a problem, I recently gav
Hi, I have a bit of a problem, I recently gave birth to my second child( 6weeks ago) and I have been really depressed ever since then, I have never thought of hurting my kids-never but I am driving my amazing husband insane! The way I am now is the reason why husbands cheat on their wives or even leave them! I know I am a good person but the problem is the depression is in my family-in my blood! We have some sort of chemical imbalance-(according to our GP’s) I really don’t know what to do, I don’t have money to go see our Psychologist and our medical aid won’t cover for another 9 months! I really don’t want to lose my husband- he is unbelievable and he will take my kids with him and that will make me crazy, my kids mean everything to me!
Post-Natal Depression is a common and serious problem. Fortunately it responds really well to treatment. It occurs in many women with no family history, and far more often in women in whose family depression has occurred. Don't se a psychologist in the first place, you need to see a psychiatrist as medication will probably need to be the first line of work. It is disgraceful if any Medical aid won't provide for such an obvious emergency. Even one session with a shrink could provide an assessment and a recommendation for treatment medication which the GP can then prescribe and monitor.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Blood type A may increase Covid-19 risk, study finds
- Best evidence on Covid-19 vaccines, immunity and whether the virus will become endemic or seasonal
- Four Covid-related skin complaints everyone should look out for
- Seven tips for choosing healthier drinks, and avoiding that hangover
- Tailored diets are essential for mental health, according to new research
- Police minister to 'seek clarity' on claims News24 journalist 'bugged'
- Ralph Mathekga | Mkhwebane inquiry: Where does the loyalty of the ANC caucus lie?
- North West intervention: 'Let's not mention names' - committee chair tells MPs
- Brian Molefe: I have no regrets that I knew the Guptas
- Reprimand or worse? What could happen if Mogoeng fails to retract 'brazenly defiant' Israel comments
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9380 votes
67% - 19472 votes