Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
13 Nov 2006
How do you know when a person has an eating disorder like anorexia or bulimia? My daughter of 16 carried a bit of weight and a year ago started “watching” her diet, by cutting out all sugars, most breads, desserts etc. I watch her and haven’t noticed anything suspicious (vomiting after eating). She’s obsessed with going to gym at least 5 times a week, and gets upset when she can’t get to gym. She’s lost about 7 kg in a year. What worries me is we had pizza tonight and she refused to eat because she already had bread today. I told her that I’m concerned about her eating since pizza once in 3 months isn’t bad at all. She’s a high achiever, achieves late 80%, normally a gentle soul. She had such a tantrum that I’m still stunned. She chased me out of her room, slammed the door in my face, screaming and shouting. Do I have reason to be concerned about her eating?
This doesn't sound necessarily a problem / eating disorder, but one must keep that possibility in mind . She may well be unrealistic in terms of the degree of weight loss she thinks is appropriate, and the sort of diet she plans to use --- why not use her interest in this to get her to see a dietician in the first place, and maybe a psychologist, for assessment and advice on how to set a healthy target weight and find the healthiest way of raching that weight.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- The common cold might protect you from coronavirus – here’s how
- J&J Covid-19 vaccine: Are blood clots and the pausing of SA’s rollout a cause for major concern?
- SEE: Woman’s nose collapses due to rare autoimmune disorder
- Some form of long-term symptom lingers in one in 10 who had mild Covid-19, new study finds
- HIV and cervical cancer: Behind SA’s extraordinarily high numbers
- 'Hlophe should not only be impeached, he should be put in prison' - Kriegler
- Family finally gets justice 10 years after their three-year-old boy drowned at a North West lodge
- Meet Soweto's 'cemetery navigators' - the men attending to dilapidated graves
- High risks or picky banks: Why is microfinance not taking off in SA?
- SATURDAY PROFILE | Judge Dennis Davis: ‘To accuse the judiciary of being captured is outrageous’
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9435 votes
68% - 19981 votes