Ask an expert

12 Jan 2005

Help me!!!!
It's been 3 years that my husband died in a car accident. This year has been by far the worst. I am battling an ever present depresseion wishing that I could just take my kids out with me and end all of this. I have seen shrinks for years now, am on anti depressants. Today being a particularly bad day again because I took my youngest to school for the first time. I do not wish this life for my children. My dad died in an accident when I was 5. I know exactly what they have to face in years to come. If the universe is sending me a challenge then I'm afraid, I'm failing and not getting the message. I do not want to live anymore.....Finished.
Answer 300 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear amazed,
Keep up the struggle. It is no victory, no end, and nothing acceptable, to seriosuly consider taking out yourself and your children --- they AND you CAN have so much more happiness in life, even though it may take a bit more struggle to succeed. Sounds like the loss of your husband unpleasantly echoed the loss of your father in a similar way. But don't, please, assume that your children are somehow doomed to follow in the path you have strayed into so far --- they need not be seriously affected by the loss of their Dad, and need not become chronically Depressed. So what you know so bitterly from your own experience is, fortunately, NOT what they will have to face. You urgently need either to see your current psychiatrist, or to get a good new one for a fresh opinion, for a full re-assessment of the situation, being very frank with them about how hopeless you feel, maybe suggesting that they seek Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy for you in addition to the medications they will want to use, and taking a renewed aggressive approach towards ridding yourself of the depression, not ridding the world of yourself. I understand how hopeless things may feel to you, but this is not how they need to be, and this CAN be changed. Don't give up.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9426 votes
68% - 19887 votes