Ask an expert

03 Apr 2006

Help me
Hi Doc
Please can you help me. I have been seeing a psychiatrist but at R700 a session I cannot afford it anymore. I tried to commit suicide last year September and I luckily made it. I had been on Nuzak for a while but I was taking a lot of drugs (Cocaine) and drinking a lot. I stopped after I was in hospital and I have only touched cocaine once in the last 6 months. My physiatrist put me on Cipralex and Modaffinil but I have stopped now because it's too expensive and I was getting so so so tired from the medication. I have begun St John's Wart but I am not getting better. I get moody quickly, I am extreeeeemely irritable and get cross very quickly. This is not me and I often feel very depressed for no apparent reason. I will be fine one second and the next I am feeling absolutely devastated, i try to feel happy but I just cant. Right now i feel fine but i have dips frequently. Please can you give me some advice, I am hardly even smoking and drinking alcohol anymore, I eat properly and I exercise 6 days a week.
Answer 589 views

01 Jan 0001

R 700 a session sounds very steep --- sruely there are alternative good shrinks not so expensive. Mind you, considering that my surgeon charged me R 300 for sessions lasting 5 to 10 minutes, I suppose my bills are even worse ! Congratulations if you have stopped the alcohol and the cocaine --- they will NEVER help you cand can't fail to make things worse for you. I'm tired of shrinks rushing everyone onto the most expensive drugs available, and wonder what is their motivation. For instance, Cilift, a generic versio of Cipramil, a close relative of Cipralex, is much cheaper and just as effective. St John's Wort seems to help some people with mild depression, but isn't strong enough for a substantial, severe depression. Maybe explore what service you might be able to get from your nearest large provincial hospital or the Dept of psychiary at your nearest medical school.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9380 votes
67% - 19432 votes