Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
01 Oct 2009
Helping a depressed friend
A friend of mine who is now divorced, was married to a physically, emotionally and verbally abusive husband. She was a virgin when she married and had no past relationship experience since the husband was the first. The husband' s family offered no support instead they made things worse. She was married for five years and not for once was she ever happy during those years. My friend is a strong and dertemined and independant woman. The only problem is she has not recovered from the abuse she suffered when she was married even though she has been divorced for more than two years. Just the mention of her husband sends her down the crazy road. Sometimes her body feels heavy she can' t sit up on a bed. She has been to a therapist before since this situation was affecting her work, but it did not help much. I read that some therapists are not that good on trauma survivors. I just need help with finding the good ones, who will help her.
She surely deserves the help of a good local shrink therapist to help her work through and free herself from, the years of abuse. But it MUST be a CBT ( Cognitive-behaviour Therapist ) as wishy-washy obsolete analytical type "therap| is worse than useless. As Liza says, the Anxiety-Depression support group can help find someone with this capability.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Is your stuffy nose 'stuffing up' your brain?
- WATCH | Covid-19 vaccines: Pfizer fast facts
- OPINION | Ivermectin: Why a potential Covid-19 treatment isn’t recommended for use
- Covid-19 infection indoors: This app can tell you how long it will take to catch the virus
- Scientists warn against videos alleged to be showing adverse Covid-19 vaccine side effects
- Zama Ndlovu | How men with money are ruining politics for the rest of us
- Sifiso Ntombela | SA needs 'inclusive agricultural growth', but what does that mean?
- EXPLAINER | What we know about the day the Coka brothers were killed on an Mpumalanga farm
- INTERVIEW | PSG’s Mouton on executive pay: 'The greatest CEOs, you cannot pay enough'
- Green light for Hlophe participation in Western Cape High Court interviews after Winde agrees to attend
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9439 votes
68% - 20025 votes