Ask an expert

01 Oct 2009

Helping a depressed friend
A friend of mine who is now divorced, was married to a physically, emotionally and verbally abusive husband. She was a virgin when she married and had no past relationship experience since the husband was the first. The husband' s family offered no support instead they made things worse. She was married for five years and not for once was she ever happy during those years. My friend is a strong and dertemined and independant woman. The only problem is she has not recovered from the abuse she suffered when she was married even though she has been divorced for more than two years. Just the mention of her husband sends her down the crazy road. Sometimes her body feels heavy she can' t sit up on a bed. She has been to a therapist before since this situation was affecting her work, but it did not help much. I read that some therapists are not that good on trauma survivors. I just need help with finding the good ones, who will help her.
Answer 343 views

01 Jan 0001

She surely deserves the help of a good local shrink therapist to help her work through and free herself from, the years of abuse. But it MUST be a CBT ( Cognitive-behaviour Therapist ) as wishy-washy obsolete analytical type "therap| is worse than useless. As Liza says, the Anxiety-Depression support group can help find someone with this capability.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9439 votes
68% - 20025 votes