Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
28 Jul 2008
Histrionic Personality Disorder
Dear CS, can you please tell me what causes this disorder, and if it can " disappear" without treatment, only by using anti depressants?
Hmm. Its actually a very uncommon diagnosis to hear about. And not I think altogether satisfactory. Its one of the fragments into which the old concept of Hysteria disintegrated when they decided for psycho-political reasons, to drop that old diagnosis. No specific cause is identified for personality disorders, including this one. Antidepressants or other chemicals / meds are unlikely to help ; any personality problem can be exaggerated and become troublesome if one is depressed, and then, as the depression is properly treated, it may fade again and become easier to control
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Scientists find link between lower daily temperatures and higher rate of transmission of Covid-19
- Phone call anxiety: Why so many of us have it, and how to get over it
- Multiple studies find unique risks of heart disease and stroke for women
- Do children and teens need to be vaccinated to get the Covid-19 pandemic under control?
- Another coronavirus variant detected in SA, but no reason to panic, says KRISP director
- Prof Shabir Madhi 'mortified' at decision on AstraZeneca vaccine, says it might expire
- Glencore 'used relationship' with Ramaphosa to 'extort' Eskom, former CEO Brian Molefe claims
- Mkhwebane's fate in the hands of the ANC
- EXPLAINER | What is the Land Court Bill about?
- OPINION | Is Discovery sincere in its push for 'social solidarity'?
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9366 votes
67% - 19364 votes