Ask an expert

18 Jul 2005

Hostility at work - how to deal with it
I’ve started working at a new company about two months ago. I’m doing what I enjoy most and what I’ve studied for for so long. I’m learning new things every day and the woman I’m working for is a fantastic person.

However, there are many days that I struggle to the point of tears at the prospect of having to come to work. Why?? The hostility, backbiting and gossip that goes around with some of the other staff. Many days I am able to shield myself from it by surrounding myself with the good people at work (and there are a few really good people here). I’d throw myself into my work just to escape it, with good consequences – my work is up to date and in order, but there are more bad days than good, where I feel that it is wearing me down. I’m tired all the time, just from feeling as if I don’t know who to trust and because I have to have my guard up all the time. Sometimes the hostility is outright, sometimes directed at me, sometimes I’d overhear the gossip about some other unfortunate person. There’s always whispering and sidelong looks. My office is situated near the pause area, and I always hear what goes on. I don’t know if they’re aware that they can be heard or if they just don't care. I don’t want to leave, the training I am receiving here is fantastic and I don’t know if it’ll be better anywhere else. I think I just need to find a way to deal with it so that I don’t feel the way I do. I don’t think I should leave because of a few bad worms who make things unpleasant for everyone, when the company is otherwise a really great place to work. Any suggestions on how to deal with this?
Answer 405 views

01 Jan 0001

Discuss this with the HR dept of the company ; and talk it through with those good people at work, asking for advice based on how they cope with this situation. Meanwhile, ignore the bad guys, who presumably get their kicks out of seeing you and others getting upset by them.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.