Ask an expert

02 Feb 2004

How do I help?
Hi Doc,
My son, a beautiful, strapping young man of 22 is suffering from depression. He is currently on medication which helps a lot, but I don't think it is a long term solution. My take on his situation is that although he has been studying, he has not achieved anything yet (academic that is) He has now decided to study in yet another field and I am concerned that if he is unsuccesful again it will just make matters worse. In addition, he was sodomised with a piece of wood by 4 thugs in March last year (he only shared this with me in November) He has had suicidal thoughts and although he has been for counselling it does not seem to help(therefore the continued use of anti depressants)
What can I do to help?
Answer 378 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear WWW,
I appreciate your concern. The best answers to your questions would be provided by a good shrink who could see and re-assess your son, and re-evaluate the best means of treatment. From the sound of it, maybe his counsellor should be asked if he/she thinks the sessions are going well ; and maybe asking whether you, as his mother, could have a single session with the counsellor, to provide any background information that might be useful, and to discuss your remaining concerns, just to be sure that they are being taken into account ij the counselling --- but only with your son's approval of such a move, of course.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.