Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
18 Jul 2005
how to find a particular psychotherapist
I need to find a particular sort of person to be a clinical psychologist/psychotherapist/relationship counsellor for my daughter and husband. From my own experience in lay counselling I can tell that I need the therapist to be a woman, not too young, nevertheless with a modern outlook, unrestricted by old-fashioned attitudes, with no personal agenda against either young women or middle-aged men, in order to help these too sort out their destructive relationship. How do I go about finding this person?
I understand what you'd like, Daniel. And I rather wish there were some sort of Computer-Dating system to match client and therapist / counsellor. But there isn't, for many reasons, including that it would be very difficult and expensive to keep track of who practised where, let alone to evaluate such important but rather nebulous aspects as attitudes and interests, let alone skills. Your best bet might be to phone your local branch of FAMSA, which should know its range of local counsellors fairly well
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Covid-19: A potentially deadly ‘black fungus’ infection seen in patients in India
- Core strength: Why is it important and how do you maintain it?
- Trying to cut down on your meat intake? Experts suggest you should just look at it
- Fighting the flu season: Two experts answer key questions about the flu shot
- Your guide to side-effects: What you can expect after a Covid-19 jab
- THE ESKOM FILES | Money for jam: StefStocks, Basil Read accused of fleecing millions from Kusile 'scheme'
- State alleges Nafiz Modack manages criminal enterprise
- How the EFF wants to change the Constitution
- Bruce Cameron | What you need to know about disability assurance and mental health
- Unfriendly fire: Top cop Khehla Sitole, fired Crime Intelligence boss Peter Jacobs trade blame over Kinnear murder
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9474 votes
68% - 20305 votes