Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
12 Feb 2004
hrt & st.johns wort possible cause of weight loss?
A friend of mine has had a hysterectomy and is on hrt on top of which she is taking 300mg of st johns wort but has lost lots of weight. She weighs 6.5stone and doesn't think she has a problem as she is eating. she is taking several other alternative medicines also. Could this be the cause? Does the st.john wort mix with hrt?
manic, one of the problems with using herbal remedies is that they have never been fully and comprehensively tested, both for their own effectiveness and safety, or, even more, for their safety or effects when combined with other drugs or remedies. And though we know St John's Wort relatively well ( it's actions are rather a lot like those of Prozac ), lord knows what are in the other herbal remedies she is taking. and I wonder why she is taking them at all ( if one is entirely well, one does not need to take any remedies, does one ? ) Wouldn't it be best for her to see her GP for a more comprehensive physical checkup to be sure there aren't any physical problems that might explain the weight-loss. Depression can reduce one's appetite and reduce weight, but this sounds as if more needs to be checked out.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Low risk of third Covid wave in SA, but country still ‘highly vulnerable’, Wits AI model suggests
- Scientists invent home Covid-19 test using coffee machine capsules
- New research shows South Africa’s levy on sugar-sweetened drinks is having an impact
- Late-night snacks may negatively impact your work performance
- 10 ways to make yourself poop first thing in the morning
- Days of reckoning for Zuma and Hlophe: Will ConCourt and JSC imprison and push to impeach?
- With Edgars now in its stable, how does Legit-owner Retailability compare to its rivals?
- Eskom official went out of her way to help Econ Oil, and linked them up with Gigaba - probe report
- Adriaan Basson | The end of John Mandlakayise Hlophe, a judicial scoundrel and delinquent
- Trichomonas gallinae disease or canker killing birds in Eastern Cape?
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9425 votes
68% - 19881 votes