Ask an expert

08 Mar 2004

I am worried about my baby is she being abused by my brother.
Hi doc I would like to know how do you know if someone is abusing your child.
My daughter is 2yrs old. My brother is 16 yrs old. My daughter loves her uncle very much but i am worried.When i use to ask him to bath her he always complained,but now he voluntees to bath her. We never close the door completely when we bath her ,but he closes it fully.

Now the other night she complained that her nufy is sore.
When i asked her who did hurt her nufy she said my brothers name.

Could i be wrong or what.She is always around him and he always plays with him.I don't know what to think Please help me.Her vagina was red when i dressed her that night.

Please help me because if he is busy abusing my child i will kill him.
Answer 421 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear CM,
It does sound as if some form of abuse is a distinct possibility ( try calling Childine -- their number is giving in another thread today and discussing this ). And I can't help agreeing with Lucia --- why on earth have you been having a boy of 16 or younger ( you mention how he used to respond ) bathing a young girl, and insisting on it ?
Stop the bathing ritual immediately, and take care of this yourself. And no closed doors. There are many other ways in which he can help around the house.
And Lucia was NOT being rude but highly sensible. I know you are upset and angry that there is even a possibility of abuse, and hate the idea that you may have unwittingly encouraged it, but this was never a good idea, and may have led to things becoming far more complicated than is desirable.
Why not talk to the lad about her complaint, and ask him for his version of events. Young girls can get infections that cause discomfort, in innocent ways, too. Spooky makes some very excellent points there, too. Best to have her see a Gp for a checkup, to be sure.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.