Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
06 Oct 2009
if I lose weight I will be less depressed?
Hi guys. I suffered from anorexia and bulimia in the past, and stopped it all. for the past two years I have gained 20kgs and I feel miserable. If I try to lose weight, not by having an eating disorder, but by following a healthy diet will it make me happy when I lose the weight? Or will I continue and go ccrazzy and obsessed? I feel like if I just lose some weight I will feel happier. maybe just 10 kg at which I will weigh about 55-58kg. This is a good weight for my height. Is it okay to want that or will I always be depressed and unhappy even if I do lose weight???
Maybe the two are not connected, even if it looks like they are ? How can you be sure that your unhappiness is entirely due to gainin a few pounds in weight ? Rather see a good shrink for CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour therapy ) to deal with the weight concerns and the unhappiness. Losing weight will NOt make you feel happier. And when you lose 10 kg, and still don't feel happy, you'll decide that maybe just a further 10 kg will bring bliss. Happiness is a complex thing and a worthwhile aim, but it has not useful correlation with weight, size or shape. Deal with the habit of unhappiness first.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Is your stuffy nose 'stuffing up' your brain?
- WATCH | Covid-19 vaccines: Pfizer fast facts
- OPINION | Ivermectin: Why a potential Covid-19 treatment isn’t recommended for use
- Covid-19 infection indoors: This app can tell you how long it will take to catch the virus
- Scientists warn against videos alleged to be showing adverse Covid-19 vaccine side effects
- Zama Ndlovu | How men with money are ruining politics for the rest of us
- Sifiso Ntombela | SA needs 'inclusive agricultural growth', but what does that mean?
- EXPLAINER | What we know about the day the Coka brothers were killed on an Mpumalanga farm
- INTERVIEW | PSG’s Mouton on executive pay: 'The greatest CEOs, you cannot pay enough'
- Green light for Hlophe participation in Western Cape High Court interviews after Winde agrees to attend
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9439 votes
68% - 20025 votes