Ask an expert

12 Feb 2004

just want to be able to smile again (part two)
dear cybershrink

thank you for your advise could you please give me more advise on COgnitive Behavior Therapy (CBT ), which focusses specifically on identifying and changing the specific state of mind you mention, scientifically and accurately, go for it.

i am seeing a psycologist at the moment and go for therapy so i would like to talk to her about it i really dont want to go back on anti depressants.

happiness is a state of mind and a work in progress for me
Answer 388 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear :),
I am not sure how useful it would be for me to tell you much more about CBT, as you need a therapist who can use such methods, rather than yourself needing to learn to do it yourself ! Talk about it with your psychologist, ask her for her views on it, and maybe if she doesn't do it, she'll know someone who does. I keep punting it because it is the ONLY method of psychotherapy for which I can find good and convincing scientific evidence of effectiveness.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9360 votes
67% - 19294 votes